Saturday, July 18, 2009

Le Côte d'Azur 5th Day — Friday, July 17, 2009

NICE — Bus tour, Matisse Museum and Monastère de Cimiez

STILL not in the water yet... am I crazy? Yes, another hot day in Nice, but I have promised Jon that we will go on a "real" tour of the city. Suffice it to say, we hoped on open-top bus and it carted us around. Most of the places we had found on our own already, but the harbor and surrounding hills we had not been to and were beautiful.


Nice Harbor

We made a stop at the top of the hill in a beautiful area called Cimiez, this is where we toured the Matisse museum and saw them setting up the stage for the Nice Jazz Festival. We are definitely going to go a couple of nights to the Festival -- especially on Tuesday to see my favorite boy --- James Taylor. What a setting -- in the hills above Nice among olive trees .... ahhh.


Getting ready for the Nice Jazz Festival

The Matisse museum is good, but it doesn't have his most influential work -- I'm guessing it's at the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, or in Paris. What's really interesting is that just outside of the Matisse museum there are some 5th century B.C. Roman ruins -- it reminds you of how old the city really is -- even though Nice didn't become part of France until the mid 19th century.


The Matisse Museum


Inside the Matisse Museum before I was kindly asked to put my camera away!



Roman Ruins outside of the Museum

On the way out of the Matisse museum, we walk two blocks to the beautiful Church and gardens of Monastère de Cimiez. The gardens are absolutely breathtaking with a view of the surrounding hillsides and the Nice coastline. Jon does his best impersonation of Cary Grant in "To catch a thief." It needs work.


My Dear, My Dear, My Dear.... Jon in front of the rooftops ala "To Catch a Thief"



10 Years and going strong...



Monsieur Romer


The Princess



The Magnificent Gardens of Monastère de Cimiez



No wonder the Impressionist painters were in love with the South of France!



More Impressionist inspiration


We end the day on Rue Masséna, another quaint stretch of town with shops and restaurants. We end up.. where else? Yet another Italian Restaurant. Tomorrow... I will cook!


Rue Masséna at Night

We get back to the flat at 11pm, and the lack of sleep has caught up with me. I am so desperately tired that I can't move. I take a shower and go immediately to bed. I promise Jon and myself that tomorrow will be a "do nothing" day. I will get up late, have a leisurely breakfast and head on down to the water when I feel like it.

No comments: